Child Support

No one is more affected by the end of a relationship than children. They deserve support from both parents before, during, and most importantly, after a divorce or separation. To learn more about child support, spousal support, and how they might affect you, it is important to speak to an experienced family law attorney about your legal options.

Pennsylvania has a system for child support that was established after a study to determine how much money a non-custodial parent should contribute toward their child’s needs. While there is a set of guidelines to calculate child support amounts, deviations frequently occur for a variety of reasons, including:

• Child care needs
• Private or parochial school tuition
• Medical coverage
• High incomes

It’s important to think about a couple of things if you are going through a divorce or separation and will be paying or receiving child support. First, Pennsylvania requires both parents to contribute to the support of their children which includes providing health insurance, as long as the cost is reasonable. In addition, once the parents’ combined net monthly income exceeds $20,000, child support will be based on a standard of living rather than the child support formula.

Child support was created to help children. If you are a parent and have not been receiving adequate child support from the other parent, you owe it to your children to ensure that they receive the full protection of the law.

Also, many times parents will try to take advantage of the child support laws to get more money and avoid contributing their fair share to the costs of their children. Raising children requires teamwork amongst the parents. If you believe that the other parent of your child is unfairly abusing the child support system to get more money out of you or is avoiding you need adequate representation to protect your rights and your child’s rights.

If you are currently have questions or issues regarding child support our attorneys can help you, call our office today at 412-515-0939.